There’s been a lot of worried comment about Google glass(es), such as the creative good blog http://creativegood.com/blog/the-google-glass-feature-no-one-is-talking-about/, and some good video parodies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KmFSmkDyr8. I think that what we are witnessing is the beginning of a change in consciousness that will transform human life. A thousand years ago, people knew only their immediate surroundings. Very few travelled, and those who did lost daily contact with home. Now we have the potential that everyone can be constantly in touch with other people and places anywhere in the world. What will life be like in another thousand or even 100 years’ time? The glasses are a clumsy prosthesis, but we can already imagine ways in which future consciousness will be transformed. And hopefully communication and mutual understanding will help put an end to tribal divisions.
Anyway, Google’s own demo of young men and one young woman parachuting on to the Google building, all keeping in touch with each other and with the audience in the auditorium, is impressive in a geeky-athletic way.
- Internet Marketing Firm fishbat says Google Glasses are a “Headache” (prweb.com)
- JetBlue Shows Us The Google Glass Enhanced Future Of Travel (gadling.com)
- Google Glass – No More Rumours; It’s Real (reviewsongadgets.com)
- How the World Feels Through Google Glass (itsabeautifulearth.com)
- What it is like to wear Google Glass [Video] (9to5google.com)